©2009-2012 Growums. All rights reserved.
Growums.com intends to provide parents and their children the opportunity to engage in shared moments of learning and laughing together. Our fun, educational, and interactive website offers the opportunity to learn about growing vegetables and herbs while playing games that let children and their parents interact with their favorite Growums characters.
We are committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of users of this Website, including complying with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”) when applicable. Growums.com does not condition a child’s participation in any activity on this website on the disclosure of more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in the activity.
Information You Provide to Us
Growums collects information in several ways via different parts of our Website. Providing personal information and becoming a Growums member is voluntary. Nonmembers can still use the majority of our Website. However, nonmembers will not have the opportunity to access certain enhanced content and application areas, experience personalization features, and voice their questions and concerns as quickly as members. When you register with Growums, you provide personal information. Growums uses this information to better create and organize our content programming to meet your needs.
The personally identifiable information we may request from you, and with which we identify you as a member, includes the following: first name, last name, email address, gender, date of birth, ZIP code, username, and password. When you wish to purchase something, we will also ask you for the following: street address, city, state, phone number, and credit card / payment information. We also collect information about gift recipients so that we can fulfill your gift purchases. The information that we collect about gift recipients is not used for marketing purposes.
Please note: Children under the age of 13 and non-US residents currently cannot become Growums Members.
How We Use the Information You Provide
Growums uses your personal information to tailor the content programming, information services, and software applications that we provide to meet your needs and interests. When you conduct a transaction through this Website, you are providing transaction information to Growums’ third party suppliers (such as transaction processors and financial institutions) who will use the information solely for the purpose of the transaction. We may also use your information to send you a help related and/or incentive email if you have created a shopping cart, but haven't completed checkout. We do this to assist our customers who may be having trouble completing the checkout process. Finally, there may also be other third party vendors who supply software applications, web hosting and other technologies for this Website that may have access to your personal information but they will never use such information for any other purpose except to provide services in connection with this Website.
Growums will not share any personal information about you with any third party (a party not affiliated with Preferred Commerce, Inc.), except as otherwise disclosed in this Privacy Statement and in the following circumstances: (a) in response to subpoenas, court orders or legal process, to the extent permitted and as restricted by law; (b) when disclosure is required to maintain the security and integrity of this Website, or to protect any user's security or the security of other persons, consistent with applicable laws; (c) when disclosure is directed or consented to by the registered member who has inputted the personal information; (d) in the event that Growums itself or any of its subdivisions or units goes through a business transition, such as a merger, divestiture, acquisition, liquidation or sale of all or a portion of its assets, your personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred; or (e) in limited circumstances, Growums may disclose your email address in order to comply with laws and regulations, including the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act (CAN-SPAM of 2003). Growums may occasionally involve a paying or nonpaying partner in our registration areas because they share our educational mission and they provide a highly valued service to our members.
Growums also collects non-personally identifiable information. Here, no audience members are identified by their personal information -- we are only interested in how Growums looks demographically and statistically. This basic market research allows us to identify the trends, developments, and needs of our audience. Such information may be shared with third parties.
We Protect Kids' Privacy
Growums encourages parents and guardians to spend time online with their children. We urge parents to instruct their children never to give out their real names, addresses, or phone numbers without permission when using the Internet. We recognize a special obligation to protect personal information obtained from children.
As a parent, you've probably done a lot of thinking about protecting your family's privacy on the Internet. We have been thinking and working hard to provide you with the best information and the highest quality interaction on the Internet in an environment that is safe. In compliance with COPPA, we have adopted the following policies to keep kids safe (there are a few exceptions to these policies as noted below under the heading "Exceptions to Verifiable Parental Consent"):
- We will NOT knowingly collect, use, or distribute personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 without prior verifiable consent from a parent or guardian.
- Personally identifiable information we collect from children under the age of 13 will be used solely by Growums or its agents for internal purposes only and will NOT be sold or otherwise distributed to third parties.
- We will NOT knowingly allow children under the age of 13 access to chat rooms, message boards, email accounts, or other services within Growums that would allow them to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable information without prior verifiable consent from a parent or guardian.
- We will NOT knowingly ask a child under the age of 13 to divulge more information than is needed to participate in any activity, game, or service.
- We will NOT knowingly keep any personally identifiable information that is inadvertently included in a child's email submission, help inquiry, or other one-time request, if we know that the child is under the age of 13. Information will be automatically purged or purged immediately after the issue has been resolved.
- We will NOT knowingly post any personally identifiable information that is inadvertently included in a child's submission to a general audience contribution area if we know that the child is under the age of 13. These submissions will be deleted and handled anonymously thereafter.
- We will NOT knowingly provide any direct link to websites that are unsuitable for children or teens.
- We will advise children under the age of 13 that they MUST obtain permission from their parent or guardian before sharing ANY personal information.
- Upon request, Growums will provide a parent or guardian with a description of the information that may have been provided about their child during a registration process for a program or service of this Website. Growums only asks for a Child or Teens personal information if it is necessary to participate in the program or service.
Notification and Verifiable Parental Consent
Before any personally identifiable information is collected, we will do our best to notify the parent or guardian that their child is participating. Notification will include the exact nature and intended use of the information we are collecting, as well as the opportunity for the parent or guardian to prevent the use of the information and the child's participation in the activity. For every child (anyone under 13 years of age) we require the parent or guardian to provide verifiable parental consent such as an email, mail-in letter, fax, or toll-free phone call to Growums.
Exceptions to Verifiable Parental Consent
There are few instances where we will NOT get verifiable parental consent:
- Requesting the contact information of a parent or guardian for the sole purpose of obtaining verifiable parental consent or providing notification to the parent or guardian;
- Collecting a child's contact information solely to directly respond to the child's request on a one-time basis (for example, to provide assistance with a particular question). We will not use that information to re-contact the child for any other purpose (we will purge from our system the child's personal information after responding);
- Collecting a child's contact information and the contact information of his/her parent or guardian solely to directly respond more than once to a specific request from the child (for example, to satisfy the request for a newsletter subscription). In this instance, the parent or guardian will be notified that the child made such a request and be informed of the information provided by the child. The parent or guardian will have an opportunity at any time to revoke the child's request (i.e., unsubscribe). We will not use the child's personal information to re-contact the child for any other purpose.
What Are Cookies?
The non-personally identifiable information we track with cookies is anonymous and will not be used to identify, or lead us back to, any particular visitor. Visitors to Growums may have the option of disabling cookies via their browser preferences (most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies). BEADVISED THAT DISABLING COOKIES MAY MAKE CERTAIN PARTS OF THE WEBSITE UNUSEABLE. While browsing through Growums, you may get cookies from our advertisers or sponsors. Growums and its affiliated Websites do not control these cookies.
A Notice About External Links
Occasionally, you will find links from Growums to independently owned, controlled, operated, and/or managed Websites whose content we believe will be of possible interest and value to our visitors. Additionally, you'll see links from advertisers, sponsors, and other partners who may use Growums’ logo as part of a co-branding agreement.
In many cases, these links represent cooperative projects or mutual links established with the organizations connected with these Websites. We don't control the content of these links. These other Websites may send you their own cookies, collect data, or solicit personal information. While we identify sponsor and advertiser areas of our Websites, we do not control these cookies or the content of these third parties.
Growums has partnered with other companies to provide certain services. In some cases, you may see Growums’ logo on another company's Website. Growums does not share any of your personally identifiable information with these partners and they do not share any information with us.
We specifically recommend that children check with their parents or teachers before connecting to any new Websites.
Security, Purchases and Credit Card Use
Growums has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. Essentially, we encrypt all transmission of sensitive data and secure all of our repositories of data. When you use your credit card to shop at Growums, your transaction is secure. Our servers use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), an advanced encryption technology. This technology safeguards your personal information and privacy. However, you should understand that "perfect security" is never guaranteed.
In the event that you believe we have inadvertently collected personal information from your child, you can review such personal information collected from your child on this Website, have such information deleted, and refuse to allow further collection or use of such information. Parents can agree to the collection of personal information from their child and the use of such information without agreeing to the disclosure of such information to third parties. Parents generally have a right to opt out of having personal information collected from their child disclosed to third parties. In the event that you believe we have collected personal information from your child, to carry out such requests, please contact us at the email address provided below and a Growums.com representative will guide you through the necessary procedures.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of Growums, or your dealings with Growums, please:
- E-mail us at email@example.com
- Write to us at:
Preferred Commerce, Inc.
1655 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd, Suite 800
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Call us at: 561.752.2250
Last Updated: July 1, 2010.